Friday, July 18, 2014

Goin' To The Chapel



This picture was my Throwback Thursday picture on Facebook yesterday.  It’s one of my favorite pictures of my father and my oldest brother, Harry.  I see it as a true snapshot in time.



In this photo, my father is checking his watch to see the time.  It’s an iconic wedding photo - the groom/groom’s family worried if the bride will show.  What you don’t’ know is that time was a real factor here and it’s actually comical that Dad is checking his watch.  The groom ALMOST didn’t make it to the wedding!

The night before, Harry had a bit too much fun at the bachelor party and was stopped for a DUI.  After hearing Harry’s story and realizing his Dad was Dr. Cochran, the cop made a few concessions.  Rather than lock Harry up right then, he let my brother Robby, who was 16 (at the bachelor party?), drive home to Elgin to get bail money from Dad.  That way, they would fast track Harry and get him released in time for his wedding.  Robby made a fast track home to awaken Dad in the middle of the night.  I remember hushed voices  in the middle of the night, Dad getting dressed and leaving.

The next day, Harry was there at the wedding - all smiles - broad smiles, and an occasional grin because he realized just how lucky he was!  I remember looking up at him in awe as I thought I was never going to see him again! Not a word was said about the incident during the  wedding ceremonies so as not to spoil the bride’s day.  Later, when we were all back in Elgin, with the celebration drinks flowing, the story came out, in true Cochran fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment